Today one of the "older" mothers from the local YWAM base came and spoke to us. She told us two main things which were so encouraging. One - that this age of our kids is a huge grace period, because there's so much they won't even remember!! :-) She said we don't need to worry that every little thing we do or every little milestone they do or don't hit "on schedule" is going to determine their whole future. It's not, even though sometimes we feel that way. Then, she said what IS going to determine their and our future during these years is how much we are investing in our marriages. She said if our kids walk at 10 months but know we don't love their dads, so what? The best thing we can do for them and us is to create a secure marriage in which our kids feel safe.
We talked about how investing in our marriages is so much more challenging when we have young kids. But we can become stronger through these years. She said that statistically, most divorces happen when the kids are 3 or 4 and up, NOT in the baby/toddler stage, even though THAT's the stage that is so hard. It's because you get out of this hard stage, and then find you haven't worked at your marriage and have nothing left.
Investing has to be purposeful and planned in this season. And that's absolutely fine.
I'm so thankful for my husband/best friend/amazing daddy to Norah. This last year definitely has tested us so much, but we also feel so much closer because of the love and vision we share for our family and for Norah's life. I am encouraged today to find ways to invest in our marriage more, communicate openly, and plan more times to bless him and enrich our relationship.
p.s. And he came home and saw me cleaning and jumped right in and helped me without my ever having to ask. Isn't he sweet?;)

2 comments:
Wow, that is such a good word! And makes me realize that much more how intentional I need to be about my time with Bryan during these season that he's working so hard! I miss MuizenMamas, but I'm glad I can still learn from it via you!!!
Amen to that, Leigh!!! She put it so well .. and definitely made me think, and I will continue to do so. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment