Saturday, October 23, 2010

Treasuring

Please read this article: Avoiding Selfishness, from Chronicles of a Babywise Mom. It and the article she referenced in it brought tears to my eyes and a challenge to my heart: A) to not complain or expect immediate returns in all my work as a mommy, and more importantly, B) to CHERISH this time because it is SO SHORT. I was literally bawling as I read and held my baby girl. How quickly the time goes. I don't want to miss one second because I'm focused on being tired, needing "me-time", or just waiting for the next phase. I will never get this time back with her.  In another article Plowman gives this quote, that led to my tears:
 Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).
my little girl at a couple months old

a year later

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh how true this post is! I am realizing this more and more lately as my two are growing right before my eyes. When they were both small and our days (and nights) were crazy, I often dreamed of future days when they would be a bit older and I could breathe again. And now that those future days are here, I find myself wishing for those baby days again. And before I know it, these in-between days will soon be history and I don't want to miss out on them because I was dwelling on the past with regrets. Thank you for the reminder! :-)