Friday, March 13, 2009

Identity

Last night in our Bible study, we talked about knowing who we are in Christ, from Colossians 1:19-23. How when we know this, we don't have to come to God with fear, because we know His love for us that justifies us. We are holy in His sight. He sees us without blemish or accusation. He has reconciled us...bringing us from being His enemies to being holy in His eyes.
Afterwards, we had a time of silence and prayer to reflect on these truths and listen to what God might want to bring to our minds. As I was sitting there, I started thinking about the kids I tutor. I started seeing their faces, and wondering, what would they be like if they knew who they can be in Christ? The confidence and power it would give them if they knew their true worth, true potential, and that they are without blemish and accusation because of Jesus...

Then I thought of a girl I saw this week. I was waiting for one of my students at one of the middle schools where I tutor. As I was sitting in the office a 12 or 13 year old girl rushed in sobbing. One of the office staff hugged her and took her aside. Then my student arrived and we went to another room to have our session. A little while later, my student went out to go to the bathroom. When she came back, she told me she had seen something really sad. She said she passed a room with a girl crying, talking to the staff, and she overheard them saying something about her being pregnant. I knew it was the girl I had seen and my heart just grew heavy for her. I have thought of her all week. She is so young. Will her baby make it? And what about her? How did this happen? Was she abused or raped? And what will happen? This will change the rest of her life. Will her child be born safely, and raised in a safe, positive environment? I hurt for this girl and think, what if she knew who she is in Christ?
How many people would be different if they knew their real identity? That they are loved and can be made whole. That they have worth, they have a future and a hope. I can't help but wonder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog.
||todaystatus.wordpress.com

numberonenanny said...

Leigh I have often thought these very thoughts about the kids I work with at after care. Some are there from 7:30 am till 6:00 pm. Most are from broken homes that will never be mended,or some don't have a clue what their story is...how sad
I hurt so deep for them, and pray for them all.
Our God is big enough to love them all, and that's what I claim for them all.