This chapter of Biblical Womanhood in the Home highlighted the issue of God pruning His "branches" to make us more fruitful and cut out areas of sin and selfishness in our lives.
What stood out to me is how the author, P. Bunny Wilson, states that we can identify where self is popping up in our lives by what we are trying to control or what is controlling us. She goes on to give different examples of how women can try to control their circumstances, or let go and trust God to control them. Wilson says if you are godly, and have a desire, (for example, if you are a godly single woman who desires a godly husband) then God will fulfill it. Why, because if you are living fully to please God, then the desires you have are given by God. And, as Wilson points out, God will fulfill His desires...which He placed in you. Isn't that awesome? Of course, we knew that because Psalm 37:4 says, "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Because as you delight in Him His desires become yours.
So if we have a heart to please God (even though we mess up most of the time) our deep desires are given by Him, so they are His desires, and He will fulfill them! What an awesome and very encouraging thought.
We can tell if we are trying to control people and circumstances. And we can tell if we are being controlled by something other than God. The results are clear...frustration, stress, anxiety, etc. We must let go and trust God's goodness to prune us and work in our lives for our and His good.
Ok, more personally, this is something that hits very close to home. I have a hard time just letting go and trusting God to fulfill my desires. For some reason I struggle to trust that God wants me to have what I desire...I have trouble trusting God's goodness. I tend to think I have to work hard for everything, earning His and others' favor. As a result I try to control things in my life, trying to ensure that I am doing everything right. I am so afraid of failing. But this fear is caused by pride and unbelief of God and His love. That is sin and self and I have to let go and repent of that. And as I let go, and start focusing on Jesus and not my worries, I can enjoy the good and wonderful gifts He brings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This hits a little too close to home!!! ;)
Post a Comment