Friday, August 22, 2008

Seven, "A Wife's Responsibility to Help Her Husband"

This powerful chapter (written by Barbara Hughes) is about God's command to women to submit to their husbands as they trust in God. It is about God's orderly plan for men to love their wives and wives to submit to and respect their husbands in return. But the key to obeying this command is first entrusting oneself to Christ.

As 1 Peter 2 and 3 indicate, wives submit to their husbands by following the example of Christ's submission to His Father.

"Jesus' persistent faith in God's goodness and wisdom in everything was unflinching. Obedience to God's will was His primary concern.
"Obedience to God's will was Eve's point of failure. She doubted God's goodness and wisdom in denying her the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Through the gospel, we who are Eve's daughters are now also children of God, and we've been given the power to live like Christ. But obedience is still up to us."

And here's where I hang my head. Here's where I am pierced because it cannot be said of me that my faith in God's goodness and wisdom is persistent or unflinching...certainly not in everything. Rather, I am much more like Eve, doubting God's goodness, doubting God's wisdom, and failing to take hold of the power to live like Christ that I have been given. The same trap Eve fell in, doubting God's word and doubting God's intent to her...I fall into that trap daily. Why don't I trust His love for me? His goodness and good will toward me? Why don't I fully trust His wisdom to lead and guide and control my circumstances? Why don't I trust that He will help me do the right thing?
Sometimes I think I'm trusting, but my perpetual stressing, anxiety, and striving prove otherwise. And here's the clincher...when I submit to and respect my husband (instead of trying to lead and control him) that is when I am really trusting in God. For my good, wise God put my husband as the head of me. And if I know how to trust God's command to submit to my husband, then I know how to trust God to submit to Christ...

1 comment:

numberonenanny said...

Leigh you are growing spiritually day by day. You seem wise beyond your years. God has placed you where you are for a very important reason. He will continue to unfold His plans for your life & you are going to be so amazed at what He has planned!
Trusting is the hardest for me, but like you when I see God in my husband and walk beside Him it is then I truly trust and walk beside the Lord. It's a hand-n-hand thing ya know?!! You bless so many people with your gentle spirit, yet firm grasp on life. Good for you! Your are loved!