Sunday, November 7, 2010

Training a Toddler

Norah has definitely felt the stress of our recent move. Though she seems to be enjoying our new house and lawn, she has struggled with napping during the day, and I am sure it has to do with all the changes. I am looking forward to next week staying home as much as possible and working with her in getting back into a consistent routine. I am thinking about several goals I want to work on with her, and I am excited for spending more focused time playing with her as well. 

As she enters the toddler stage, I am thinking and praying a lot about the need to be consistently training and disciplining her. Tonight as I held her before putting her to bed, I prayed Psalm 23 over her like I usually do at bedtime. So often I have felt God speaking to me through this Psalm as I become more and more familiar with it, reciting it each night. Today the part about, "Your rod and Your staff they comfort me," jumped out. It comforts us to have God's discipline and guidance. Likewise, it comforts Norah to have boundaries, training, consistency. When our lives are inconsistent and busy, like in a move, I see more than ever how important consistency, routine, and training actually are. At the same time, it's part of life and we can comfort and be patient with her to help her through the stresses of moving and adjustments.

As far as overall training, consistency and not giving her the burden of too many freedoms and choices at her age is a way I can comfort her with guidance. Also being proactive, directive, and having high - but not too high - expectations of her. I read the article, The Choice Addiction (for toddlers) at Chronicles of a Babywise Mom, and it really helped me to see the importance of giving Norah boundaries and teaching her to obey. 
How do you teach your toddlers/pre-toddlers to obey? How do you handle moves and transitions with a young child?

1 comment:

Claire said...

Norah looks beautiful :) Thanks for sharing that article... I'm headed off to read it right now. Lately tantrums have been getting more and more frequent! I'm guessing that having mommy on bed rest isn't helping... but I'm just trying to lean on God and remember that He knew all this was going to happen at this time in Peyton's life, and He is in control of it all. That's all I can rest in.. because honestly, this isn't what I ideally want for her in this season right now. But I have to trust that God's bigger plan is more perfect than my own opinions! Miss you!