Sunday, October 17, 2010

What is my Yes

I just posted a link about "A Good Woman," from Val Plowman. The "good" woman cannot do it all, but knows what is most important for her to do. This post resounded with me because it reminded me of what's been on my heart this past weekend. At our Friday young moms' group ("Muizen Mamas") we watched a Nooma video (Rob Bell) about saying "no" to some things because you have said "yes" to something else. He mentioned how Jesus had so many demands by so many needy people, and yet at times, He said NO. He moved on to other places, moving on from all the pressures being laid on Him, moving on because He was concerned on doing what God had given Him to do. Bell shared a story about collecting shells on the beach with his family. His son saw a starfish he really wanted, but he could not get it because his hands were full of shells. Sometimes we say yes to the shells, and lose out on the starfish. 
The video wasn't directed to moms, but all of us at group knew it was speaking right to us. As moms of young children - or children of any age - we have to remember that we have said YES to God to raise these children. If we focus on that Yes, then the No's will come more easily. I've heard it before, and Bell repeated it -  that the enemy of the best is often the good. Good things will come and demand me to say yes. But I've already said my Yes - to God, my husband, my baby, and in time any other things He brings. But only what He brings, only what He is doing that He wants me to join in.
My friend at group just had a baby and adopted a baby. She shared how purposeful the Yes of adoption is. I was thinking about that later, and realized that every child you have is a YES. We may not see that it was our doing, our saying Yes to having a child, such as in the intentional act of adoption. We may not have planned the timing of a pregnancy. But each child is God's Yes to put that child in our family. Like Mary. She didn't plan to be the mother of Jesus. But it was God's plan for her. And what did she say? "I am Your servant, may it be to me as You have said."

So for what God said Yes to in my life, I say Yes back to Him. 

2 comments:

Claire said...

I love this, Leigh. You really made me think about the things in my life I've said yes to, and how I need to be faithful in those things... and really ONLY those things!

numberonenanny said...

so well written and all so true. Make you Yes yes and your No no. Good words Leigh :)
love how God is dwelling in you and in your thoughts.