My sister and her family left two weeks ago. It was truly so sad to see them go. Knowing it will most likely be at least 8 months before I see them again, knowing Peyton and Norah will have changed so much, and their new daughter will be about 6 months old before I meet her. Knowing I wouldn't have my sister with me any more to talk to, share life here with, cook with, meet people with, or raise our babies with. The goodbye was very anticipated - we knew it was coming and thus it was an emotionally dense last couple months. It was good, though, and the last two weeks when Claire and Bryan and Peyton stayed here with us were so much fun.
Since they left (and are doing well re-adjusting and settling in in Vermont), I have missed them so much. Andy and Norah and I have had some very important time together as a family though. Once again I have been reminded of the need to cling/cleave to my husband. Once again it is the three of us on our own, and we are reminded that these relationships we have with each other and with our daughter are the most important human relationships we have.
This past week we celebrated Norah's first birthday. How incredible that our daughter is one! She is absolutely beautiful and amazing in every way. We are so in love with her.
We also celebrated Andy's and my third anniversary. We thought about how far we've come and looked forward to what is yet to come.
Also, in the last week, God has provided a home for us here! The flat we were hoping for fell through, but in its place - immediately - God gave us something MUCH better for MUCH less money! Through relatives here in Cape Town, we are able to rent a beautiful house for a significant amount less than we would have paid for a flat. Yet there's much more space, a yard ("garden") for Norah to play, and it's located in a safe area. The house and area where it's located is much more conducive to family life. I was disappointed at first that we'll be a 10-15 minute drive from Muizenberg (where we are now) because we have made several good friends here, I'm in two Moms' groups here, and we are now in walking distance to the beach, library, etc. But, we will still be close enough to go to the groups and visit friends here (or have them visit us). Plus the new house is close to some other people we've met that could be great friends as well. We will probably try some other churches that are a little closer to the house, but are still praying about what to do as far as that. We would love to be in a home group, so that's why we are thinking we'd need to go to a church a bit closer, although we do enjoy the church we attend now. The house is also close to two more townships that Africa Jam is not yet involved in, but that we would pray about starting connections with. My aunt has a friend who has a children's home in one of the townships (I visited it five years ago when I came with my mom), that we would love to begin visiting.
It's exciting to see what God is doing and how He is taking care of our family. One thing is certain, He is reminding me over and over again how important it is that I am building my house, not tearing it down (Proverbs 14:1), investing in Andy and Norah, and serving Him through our home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
It is incredible to see how God is working in your lives! How exciting about the house! It sounds wonderful!
Glad to hear an update. Praying for you during this transition time!
Sorry you have to deal with your sister being gone..I know the Lord will continue to teach and remind you aa well that HE PROMISES to NEVER leave you nor forsake you..Intimacy with Him is what this is all about as you pour into your family and love on them. may Gods grace continue to strengthen you and uphold you in the days to come..
Live by FAITH in FUTURE grace
Nicole
I'm so excited about the house, Leigh. God provides :) I miss you (and my niece and brother in law) a lot... Love you!
Okay Leigh. I tagged you in a questions post on my blog... so it will force you to write a new post :)
Post a Comment