I am writing this from our friends' home in Muizenberg, South Africa! They are letting us use their Internet until we get ours sorted out. In about three weeks we are supposed to get Internet at our house. I am so excited to be able to have easy access again to communicate with friends and especially family. I look forward to being able to blog more often then too. There's so much to write about, so much is happening and so much is on my heart.
I also hope to soon have photos up of our new flat (apartment). I don't want to post them until it's "finished"! It was furnished all ready, but I am making a few changes and decorating it a little. It doesn't completely feel my own because of most of the furnishings and decorations not belonging to us, but I am trying to move them around and add my own in a more personal, homey way.
So many adjustments! The first was the time change. Norah did surprisingly well, praise God. It took a couple nights of her waking up around 9:30 for a couple hours, wide awake. So we would get her up, let her play, and put her back to bed. Now she is back to her normal schedule of going to bed at 8 pm and staying in bed until 8 am. Still waking once some nights, but she is getting close to sleeping through. Now hopefully we can get her nap routines back too.
I think I felt culture shock the strongest so far at the grocery store, standing in front of rows of butter, all in strange brand names, sizes, and different currencies. Trying to convert to the metric system, from the dollar to the rand, and get used to the different uses of English all at once is so confusing. It can make you miss Super Walmart really fast! The second trip to the store was a little better, as I'm sure each subsequent trip will be.
Of course the biggest challenge has been missing our families back home. Especially at night, I just miss our parents and siblings who are in the States so much. I can't wait to have better communication so we can stay in touch. I miss being part of their lives. This past weekend my Uncle Steve died suddenly. It was a complete shock to us and the hardest part is not being able to be there for my dad. We (my sister - and I - who is also here with her family!) called my dad, but not being able to give him a hug and be there for the funeral is so hard. I am just thinking of and praying for them all constantly.
We are starting to ease into ministry. This brings a whole new set of challenges. Especially for me - my daughter's security, safety, health, wellbeing, and routine are my priorities. Trying to maintain those and become involved with ministry is trying. I feel torn between desires for ministry and my desires for caring for her and our family. I am hoping to join, along with my sister, a moms' group for missionaries in the area. I hope to find that support from other moms who have been in my place.
However, Jesus' presence has been here. He is coming and speaking to me, helping me in my fears and anxieties. He is showing me He is here, He is protecting my family, He is my home, and He will equip us with all we need to do His will. He is strengthening our family through this. And He is bringing so many good things as well. New friends, who are such an inspiration. The opportunity to be near my sister, her husband and their beautiful baby Peyton - what an incredible blessing/dream-come-true to live near them! I am already falling in love with the kids we will be working with (you can see my post about our first encounter with the kids at our family site, reachingcapetown.com.) The area we live in is fun and beautiful. The ocean is a few minutes' walk away. Our second-floor flat has huge windows overlooking the village and the mountains. The community and our home has the rustic, earthy feel Andy and I have wanted. We have opportunities here to pursue things that interest us such as rock climbing, hiking, cooking, gardening, learning about cultures, hospitality, etc etc. There are so many blessings. I will keep counting them when the adjustments and fears start mounting!
Much more to share but I will be back. With photos too!
Monday, June 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi Leigh! So glad you guys are doing well. I have been reading your family blog and have been blown away by everything God is doing with you all. You are playing a very important role in the ministry because you and Andy are a team and you caring for him and Norah is showing the young women there what it means to be a Christian woman.
Can't wait to see pics!
Prayers and love to you, Andy, and Norah.
You made it, friend!!!! So happy to hear testimony of how God is carrying you through these initial days of learning and adjusting! Faithful is HE who has called us and HE will do it!
Big hugs,
Shilo
Post a Comment