Friday, February 19, 2010

The Note

So I don't know why it only JUST dawned on me after 2 1/2 years of marriage and 2 1/2 years of doing my husband's laundry...but it did.


For the past 2 1/2 years, laundry has been a point of tension in our home. Andy creates a lot of laundry. And to be fair, he works out almost every day, and works out hard (see what I mean here), and that creates a lot of sweaty clothes. (Sorry, Dear.) And, in the past 5 months we have had an addition to the family who also creates a lot of laundry (can you say SPIT-UP and POOP?) Thank you, Dreft stain remover...
To make matters worse, both Andy and I strongly dislike laundry. He helps me with dishes, the baby, taking out garbage (albeit grudgingly at times, but he does), but laundry is one thing he HATES. And I guess I'm not too fond of it either. Maybe its just that the washer and dryer are in our basement and I am lazy and too cold to go down there. I don't know. But I found I was constantly procrastinating laundry. And several times a week Andy would ask if I'd done laundry, because he was out of white undershirts or clothes for the gym.
The other night, he asked me, and The Note Idea popped into my head (now I believe The Note is an answer to prayer, in all honesty, because I had just been praying about how to work a compromise in our household about housework so both of us would be happy). I worked out this system, that each day of the week I would do a certain load of laundry (whether towels/jeans, colored items such as Andy's gym clothes, etc). I would do that load, no matter what, on that day, and I would not do other types of laundry that day. If it was an emergency for either of us, we would do that extra load ourselves.
I put The Note up on our fridge and diligently set about to follow its orders the next day.

Two days in, I happily announce that The Note has produced order in our laundry-lives. And perhaps it's even helping our marriage a little bit too. No more conflicts over laundry. If either of us is frustrated in that realm, we simply refer to The Note, and all is settled. We can't blame each other, for The Note is the laundry law.

p.s. Andy gave me permission to print this. :-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! That's brilliant. Laundry is a sore spot for us, too. I may have to try something like this so Dan and I don't come to blows over clothes. :)

Claire said...

I LOVE this!!!! And I think I might steal it... Can you believe I did FOUR loads of laundry yesterday? And another load awaits? ANNNND I still have to do my sheets this week? ANNND it's Friday???? I think Bryan could give Andy a fair run for his money in the laundry department... I love your note idea, Leigh. Pure genius!

Casey said...

Just sent you an email about this with my own little note. We do a very similar thing around here b/c I HATE laundry also. Hmmmm, maybe it's a Myers thing?!?! :)

Leigh and Andy said...

hahahaha! Not only do we have our names in common, but I also am not a lover of laundry. Andy asked me last week if I was hiding his underwear! :) I'll have to try the note idea, thanks!