It's your 21st birthday today, and since I can't be there with you, I thought I'd dedicate a little post to you, in honor of you and your beautiful life.
How can I express how much I love my sister? We used to call each other our "built-in best friend." No matter if we moved, or if we lost other friends, we always had each other. We always understood each other best. We went through everything together. Even when our interests and personalities and friends took us in separate ways, we still shared everything. I have such happy memories of our days spent playing together, even doing school together and fooling around when we were supposed to be working.
Even when life took us apart, we have continued to travel a similar path.
Now we can share marriage and our beautiful baby daughters. How I long for them to be close like we are. How I long for us to be near to allow that for them, and to have my best friend back.
Sometimes with the ones you love the most, it feels like every year you tell them the same things. Every year on their birthday, you tell them how much they mean to you, how precious they are. Every year I try to tell you, Claire, how much it means to have you as my sister. I feel like I'm saying the same things over, but it's just that I want you to know how precious you are to me. You make me laugh, you understand me, you share and value everything that's most important to me too. We share the same memories, the same jokes. Heck, we MADE the jokes. :) When I remember being a little girl, I remember you. You were so much a part of my childhood, and still so much a part of my life. When I dream about making a happy childhood for Norah, I can only pray she can have the closeness of a friend like I had in you. In so many ways you have formed who I am. Thank you for being my sister and my friend.
So Happy 21st to a woman who is
beautiful (you have always been totally gorgeous and all the guys always liked you, even in your glasses days)
an incredible mother (Peyton is so blessed by your devotion and wisdom in caring for her)
a godly wife (you set a beautiful example of loving submission and cooperation and devotion to Bryan), a talented artist (whether in drawing, graphic design, or music), a very fast swimmer (who can forget your 10-year old year), intelligent (we always knew you were the smartest one), unstoppable (Gran said you were like a cork that keeps popping to the surface; it's true, you are resilient and determined and its beautiful), considerate (you always think of others, whether family, friends, or whoever else is in need), giving (from giving me your chips :-) to beautiful, thoughtful gifts and letters for family), fashionable (we know your true calling is helping others reach their full fashion potential), compassionate (you have a heart for missions), passionate (you are devoted to following Christ), and funny (you always see the funniest side of things and make everyone laugh).
Happy Birthday - love always,
your sister.

1 comment:
Leigh, you have no idea how much this blessed me!! Thank you so much for writing this and for always being there for me. I love you so much and I too can't wait for the day when we can be closeby once again! I love you!!!! Now call me so we can talk!
I don't deserve a sister like you!!!!
Love, Love....
Clairey
Post a Comment