Thursday, June 18, 2009

Third Trimester and Updates

I'm officially now in my third trimester (27 weeks as of Wednesday). And man am I feeling it! Of course, it hasn't helped that this week I've been waitressing every day. It's been really busy, which has been great money-wise, but my legs are definitely feeling the constant standing and walking back and forth. Yesterday I gave myself a nice pedicure to compensate a bit for all I've put myself through :). But even still, this morning I woke up with a stiff neck, aching back, cramped legs, and a huge belly that makes even getting out of bed a difficult task! But, on a more positive note, I know entering this third trimester mark means Norah is getting increasingly bigger and more ready to enter the world. She is kicking all the time, and just recently I have started to feel little body parts when she moves. That is such a thrilling feeling.

Last weekend Andy and I bought her crib. It's a cute, white wooden portable crib. We were just looking for something to start out with for her first several months, and I think this will work well. I spent all weekend cleaning out the room that will be her nursery (it was our study before, plus storage place for junk!), and rearranging furniture to fit the crib. We love coming in the nursery now, it feels calm and peaceful. It still needs a lot of work, and I still have to find room for a few more things to fit in here, but its coming along. I love looking at the crib and little bouncy seat, it is a constant reminder of the new addition that is coming so soon.

Other than waitressing, I just recently finished up my tutoring for the summer, and also just finished a set of training courses with my first two "students" for my training job with a foster care agency (the same agency I interned with last year). I started that last job in April - I conduct pre-service trainings for potential foster parents so they can get their licenses. The two women I worked with were wonderful, and we became good friends through the process. It was sad to finish up with them, though I'm excited that they can soon have foster children in their homes. One lady and I joked how we are both having children. Both trainings were one-on-one settings in which I'd go to their homes and conduct a class worth three to six hours at a time, on various topics such as the impact of child abuse and neglect, issues in adoption, attachment, and behavior management. They are all topics I'm passionate about, so learning the material and presenting it is very rewarding.

The tutoring year felt long but was wonderful overall. I worked with a total of 7 students, some at different parts of the year, all 5-8 grade. It was challenging many times, trying to find the best strategy to engage and best help the students, but again rewarding. I don't know yet what next year will bring - if I'll be able to manage any form of involvement having Norah as well, but I do hope I can be involved in some way. I really love the students and I love the work.

I did some substitute teaching at a lovely local small school as well - www.goldenbridgeacademy.com. That was a wonderful experience. I got to try out kindergarten, fourth grade, and sixth grade. I really enjoyed the older grades the best, but I loved meeting and getting to know all the kids. That and tutoring again made me question if I should have studied education more in college.

Now that the school year is finished, I'll continue my waitressing job and training whenever there are foster parents in need of training. I have yet to see, however, what I will actually be able to manage over the summer, as my pregnancy progresses and then as the baby is born. I will quit working at the restaurant before she comes, and will try to maintain minimal if any involvement with tutoring, as well as only limited hours a month with training. I know it will be hard in some ways, but I am so excited about getting to invest in my daughter and focus on my family and our home.

Well, just wanted to update on what's been going on in my life lately...I hope to be back again soon with more updates and photos. It's late, so I'm going to go try to find some way to prop up my pillows comfortably enough to get some sleep...wish me luck!!

3 comments:

Jess said...

while I have never been pregnant, I remember what it's like to stand on a hard floor all day and run back and forth, so the combination has to more painful. Have Andy give you a nice relaxing foot massage, followed by Burt Bees pepermint foot lotion (or any lotion).

Looking forward to seeing what Norah's nursery looks like! Time for me to put Norah's organic gift together. Praying for the 3 of you!

Jess

Claire said...

Oh Leigh, I'm remembering those not-so-long-ago days... but know that they pass so quickly! soon enough norah will be in your arms and your aching body won't matter much. I'm so sorry though, that's no fun. Make Andy pamper you! You need lots of foot and back rubs these days and he should be the one to give them ;) Or what I LOVED was a nice warm foot bath while watching a movie. Just soak those tootsies after a long night's work, and you'll feel like a million bucks. Throw some foot lotion on there when you're done, and you're golden. I love you so much, and you're doing great. Little Norah is so blessed to have such a caring Mommy! Can't wait to see her!!! Peyton is anxious to meet her cuzzie!

Oh, and in reference to Jess's comment... look forward to that organic gift! Peyton's organic gift rocked :)

Unknown said...

Thank you girls :)I'll definitely share your advice with Andy!!