Saturday, June 15, 2013

My Girls

How my girls melt my sadness! Our week has been so sweet together. With Claire leaving and so many other things whirling through my mind lately, it's been easy to get down. But my days with these two have softened me once again. They have put a smile on my face and made me think, no matter the circumstances in our lives, that these are the best years of my life. These precious, fleeting days with these babies.



Monday we stayed home and regrouped after the weekend. We all need a recoup day after the busyness of having Daddy home on the weekend, and church on Sundays. Norah and I did some preschool together in the morning, and then Monday evening Norah started her ballet camp. This was a very exciting milestone for her and us! She's doing Princess Ballet camp, and she is all about it.


Tuesday I had my moms' Bible study at church. I am thankful for other moms that  encourage me. I missed having my sister there so much, though. This week has felt strange, not having the option of meeting her with the kids at the park, or going over to her house to have coffee while, hopefully, all 5 kids nap. 

Wednesday Norah and I had some more school time in the morning. We had such a sweet time together. She was really enthusiastic about working on reading and on a math workbook. She needs that one on one time with me each day, and I felt it set a great tone for the rest of the morning. She and  Elyse played together for a while afterwards, and then we went to the park. I sang loudly to Elyse all the way home to keep her awake, and Norah found it very funny.


Wednesday afternoon I had my regular phone call with one of my longest and best friends, Melissa. Lately we've been talking every two weeks. I find myself looking so forward to these talks, and I feel rejuvenated afterwards. We play with the babies, cook dinner, clean our houses, or drink our afternoon coffee while we talk and our kids nap. We update each other on the last couple weeks, we share prayer requests, we challenge each other, we share advice and experience with kids, we laugh and reminisce. I have known Melissa since I was 13, but recently in all the moves we hadn't been keeping in touch very well. It was her idea to start the every other week phone calls, and it has been such a blessing. I have missed having this kind of friendship in my life. I'm so thankful for her.

Thursday, the girls and I went to the zoo. It was 97 degrees by the time we left after lunch. But we had so much fun. It's been awhile since I just went to the zoo with the girls by ourselves. We completely enjoyed every part of the morning. I let them linger at each exhibit - the seals, the polar bear, the snakes (Norah keeps telling me they're her favorite animal....), the black bears. Norah commented on how pretty each and every flower was as we walked. We stopped for lunch at a little wooded natural play area near the polar bear exhibit. The North Carolina zoo is one of the prettiest I've been to, and it's definitely a special part of living here. It made me so happy to see them enjoy everything. It made me smile to see Elyse wave at the bears, and Norah admiring the flowers and making "soup" in the "Mud Cafe" in the play area. I love days where my whole day is just about these girls and mothering them well. Days like that remind me to put aside the stresses and anxieties that tend to clutter my mind and distract me from my girls and my husband. God has made my hands and heart so full.





No comments: