Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tagged

My sister tagged me in a post to answer 7 questions. I think she's trying to get me to blog more often. :)

What is the one thing you can always do that "brings you back"....? (i.e. when you're really stressed or upset, what one thing helps you re-focus and find your feet again?)

Journaling. I HAVE to write. If I don't write my thoughts, I feel like I haven't thought them yet. I feel scattered and like I don't have a grip on what's going on. But writing in my journal is my outlet, my means of processing, and my best avenue of prayer. Even if I don't know what to write, just writing whatever I can down before God does wonders.

Who is someone you know personally who has qualities you want to emulate?

There's so many qualities in different people I want to emulate. I don't think there's just one person. I can think of qualities of different mothers and wives and missionaries. Basically people in further seasons of life that I will be in someday, women who are godly wives and mothers and who have hearts for ministry. Women who have a quiet and gentle spirit, loving marriages, who are devoted to their families and homes, and who are compassionate and have a world-view. Women who model what it is I want to be, that give me a picture of how.

What is the best time of your day and why?

The morning, hands-down. If I can get up before anyone else, have some coffee, read the Bible and some other devotional books, journal, and plan my day, and just sit quietly, I feel like I have a much better handle on the day. Lately my routine has been to get up and do that, then go for a run. It sets me in such a better attitude for the day! Everything is fresh and new. I love when people are getting up, starting their days, while its still quiet. 

What is your all time favorite song... your anthem?

Ok I can't answer this. My anthem changes probably monthly, and there's usually a few at a time. The past year or two though, my all-time favorite music is by Jesus Culture, especially Kim Walker. The worship just ministers to my spirit and their voices are beautiful. I gave birth to Norah to How He Loves, and it is "her" song to me.

What is a dream that has been put on the back burner?

I think every mom probably feels like some (or many) dreams have been put on the back burner. In fact, this topic has been on my mind a lot over the past couple years since I got married, and then especially since I had a baby, and even when we moved here to South Africa. The more I think this over, though, the more I see that my dreams ARE being fulfilled and used. Some are waiting to come to fruition more in a different season. But most are being fulfilled even now, just in ways different than I'd imagined. Often in ways better than I'd imagined, but different just the same. Some are making ways for new dreams that overtake them. 
I remember back to when I was newly married, and there was a job opportunity at a youth shelter about 20 minutes from where we lived. My dream has been, for a long time, to work with hurting children, youth, and families. I remember driving to the group interview, touring the home, and learning about the work. It was the type of work I had longed to do while in high school and college. Working with youth from traumatic backgrounds in a residential setting. Plus it was great pay and had good benefits. It would have made perfect use of my degree in child psychology. 
But as I drove back from the interview, I thought of the 12 hour days and occasional overnights the job entailed. And I thought of my husband. And he won out. He would have encouraged me to take the job, knowing it was what I had thought I wanted. But in the end, my desire for my home and husband turned out to be even greater.
Then, coming to South Africa. Missions, working with children, working with impoverished communities, all my dreams culminating. But the catch? I had an 8 month old baby girl. Suddenly tutoring, teaching, throwing myself into children's ministry here is not such an option for me. A lot of it is watching as Andy does ministry, helping wherever I can. I am doing some, but I find that when I do, it's often too difficult with my now busy one year old who is very attached to me. And you know what, my desire to be with her is greater than my desire to be directly involved in other ministry. I am involved, but it's just in different ways. 
I see that my dreams for helping families are being used to build my own family. My dreams for teaching and helping children are being used to teach and care for my daughter. And it does trickle over. I hope more and more. 
So I guess you could say my dreams are not on the back burner. They just changed pots. :)

What makes your husband the perfect man for you?

This makes me smile. There's so much about Andy that makes him perfect for me. I think the best way to sum it up is his differences from me are what make him perfect for me. His calmness, patience, laid-backness, confidence. His abilities to see the big picture, his practicality. We also have so many common interests that makes us best friends and make us able to be great teammates. We have the same hunger for adventure, travel, and meeting new people. We both find the same things funny in people. We have a common love for exercise, the church, missions, cooking, kids, music, etc. Lately we've been able to spend so much time together as a family, and I love that we get to share everything. 

What one thing can make you smile no matter what?

My family, any one of them. Hearing my Dad say he loves me. Having a good heart-to-heart with my mom. Doing anything with my sister. My brother who makes me laugh like nothing else. Any time Andy does a Chinese accent. :) And of course just a glance at my Norah and my heart melts. Thank God for my family!

7 comments:

Melissa Reiner said...

Somehow this post felt more like a conversation with you, and I really liked it :)
Miss you, my friend!

Melissa Reiner said...

p.s. Bebo Norman is coming to Obi! Can you believe that?! I SO wish you were here! I'll be thinking about you. His early music always reminds me of when we first became friends.

Leigh said...

Melissa - WHAT? that is HUGE for Obi. I would love to be there, I still love Bebo. MIss you so much!

Leigh said...

p.s. Melissa we found a church here that reminds me so much of Obi. Even does a lot of the same songs. I think we are going to stick with it. It has the same family feel that Obi has. It won me over just for that sense I got. I loved that church.

These Three Kings said...

Thanks for sharing. SOunds much like my life( dream section)This allows ya raeders to learn more about you.
Grace and Peace

Melissa Reiner said...

I know! Isn't that crazy?! The Kinne family (and extended!) put it together (bahaha .. I'll refrain from all the comments I want to make right now ;) I about died when I found out.

I love that you found a new church! Awesome!!!!

Leigh said...

Melissa...watch it. ;)