So I have mixed emotions today. I am disappointed because I do respect John McCain and agree with many of his stances. But I am also excited to see what God's plan is for our world and how Obama will be used by God to accomplish that. Whether Obama knows it or not! I couldn't help but feel happy for the many African-Americans I saw on television weeping for joy that one of their own race has achieved - for all of us - such a milestone in overthrowing racism in our land.
Last night Andy and I watched the election coverage with some good friends of ours. When it became clear that our candidate was not going to win, our friend said to us, all that we need to know now is that this is our President now and we must choose to honor and support him and pray for him to be a good President. I agree. We can't go around complaining and judging our country. Too many people did that to our last President. We must now pray and respect him, because our God is sovereign over his election.
However, there is one thing that really concerns me: I see a lot of people raising up our new President as though he is going to change the world. I know that our country can be instrumental for good, positive change. It's time our country does make some major changes. But I am concerned because Obama cannot do that for us. Yes he can be incredibly influential with his power as President. But our only Savior is Jesus Christ. The only one we are to worship is Jesus. He is the one that sets prisoners free and preaches good news to the poor and releases the oppressed. But here's the problem - Jesus' hands and feet, the Church, hasn't been doing a very good job of expressing this good news to the poor, imprisoned, and oppressed. So now, where the Church has failed, the people are looking to the government to pick up. Our friend told us last night that many of these problems began when churches started focusing on building projects and building up their services and infrastructures instead of feeding the hungry and reaching out to the poor in the communities. YES, YES, YES. That is exactly what has happened and continues to happen. So maybe if this didn't happen, the poor wouldn't be looking to Obama right now to save them because the Church would already be showing the transforming power of Jesus to them. It's time we wake up. This is OUR responsibility, not the government. The Church has dropped the ball far too much. We have lost our purpose and persp
ective. We have to get it back!2,000 years ago a man came and announced change. He called people to change, he told people a message of hope. He is the only one who truly can change this world still today. Let's get our eyes back on THAT Man, our Savior. Let's seek HIS Kingdom now in our country. Let's let go of fear, prejudice, judgments, self-righteousness and get our hands dirty to build up His reign.

3 comments:
good thoughts leigh. i agree with your perspective. i had a lot of the same thoughts, etc. truth spoken here. love ya!!
as i read your thoughts, it was as if you had read casey's mind, your father-in-laws mind as welll as jon's and myself. i can say this because the 4 of us have had this same discussion so many times. your heart is so full of protecting the innocent & needy & yet your mind is so wise & ready to take on the world(in the right way!)i don't think i've heard anyone explain or express the way i believe the way you have. well done leigh, well done!
this mother-in-law applauds you and respects you like no other!
you are loved!!
wow, awesome perspective, Leigh. I am proud to call you my daughter-in-law!
Post a Comment